Friday 18 August 2017

THE YOGI & MY GURU

After the initial formalities upon my arrival on my second visit to my guru's kudil, Supramania Swami invited me to prayer as the sun began to set over the holy town of Tiruvannamalai.  He entered the adjacent room and I followed. His altar was decked with pictures of Gods, Goddesses and associated peripherals. Amongst them was Yogi Ramsuratkumar's photo. The Yogi was one of five gurus of Supramania Swami. Swami picked up his rudraksha beads and started rolling them followed by a chant. It was his guru's name that he was chanting. It went "Yogi Ramsuratkumara, Yogi Ramsuratkumara, Yogi Ramsuratkumara, Jaya Guru Raya." As it was a simple mantra I repeated together with him. After a few minutes into it I heard another male voice join us in chanting the Yogi's name. I was figuring out who could have joined us. There were only two of us. I kept my eyes closed and continued listening to the third person accompany both Swami and me on the chant. I wanted to ask Swami immediately after we ended the chant. But as Swami ended the chant, I opened my eyes to see him leave the room. I picked myself up and followed him out to the living room. I had completely forgotten the incident and my yearning to know who did come then. We continued speaking about other matters till the wee hours of the morning.

When I returned from Kallar ashram several days later, Supramania Swami popped me the question, "Did you hear the voice Raja?", triggering my memory back to the miracle that took place earlier. I asked Swami excitedly who it was and he gave a big laugh and replied it was his guru Yogi Ramsuratkumar! What was interesting was that Yogi Ramsuratkumar went into samadhi at 3.19 a.m. of February 20th 2001, two years back. He joined us in prayer even after he had gone into samadhi! He came on the requests of his disciple and I was privileged to witness this miracle. It was the very first miracle shown to me.

During my very first meeting with him in 2003, at his village home of Nachananthal some 8 kilometers way, he spoke about how the Yogi had one day turned up at this very house at 11 pm, tapped on his door, had a few words with him before handing over a bunting carrying his photo and disappeared into the darkness. Again this miracle took place after the Yogi had gone into samadhi! 

He shared how the Yogi had invited him to stay with him but later changed his mind and told him that it would be best if he stayed with his family. 

Swami was saddened when he was stopped from paying his last homage to the Yogi who was about to leave his mortal frame by those around him at that time. But the Yogi called for Supramania Swami and he was granted one last look and a few moments with his guru before the divine soul left the physical body.

I spent five wonderful hours with Supramania Swami on that magical day in 2003 where my mind and thoughts came to a standstill. During those five hours Swami made revelations upon revelations of the past, present and future. I came to him as a client to chart my daughter's horoscope but left as his disciple and son.

Supramania Swami poses for me during my first visit

Deva and me with Swami and his son in the background

My second visit to meet him was in 2005. After witnessing the amazing miracle that Swami brought about showing me the efficacy of chanting the guru's name, I began to leave for Kallar. I told my guru, that Agathiyar had pointed me to Tavayogi Thangarasan Adigal and has mentioned him as my guru too. I told him that I was going to visit Tavayogi, spend a few days with him as Agathiyar had instructed, and also mentioned that Tavayogi had promised to take me to all the places Agathiyar had asked me to go to. I read out the transcribe of my Nadi to him. Supramania Swami listened intently. He immediately asked if he too could see the Nadi. I told him I would get Nadi Nool Aasan T.Ramesh to meet him once Ramesh was back in India. But that did not materialize, just like Swami's wish to go to Kasi.

When I started packing my stuffs into the booth of the white Ambassador I had rented out with Prem chauffeuring me around, Swami brought out a thick blanket asking me to take it along for he told me that I shall need it in the cold of the Ooty mountains. He bid me farewell asking me to send my regards to Tavayogi. I was taken aback by the humility and concern he showed that moment. When I have come across stories of gurus who became possessive of their disciples, forbidding them to visit, attend, and follow other movements, gurus and their teachings, here was one man who sent me off happily to pay my respect and seek out new experiences with another guru.

Soon I returned to Tiruvannamalai after an extensive journey to Siddha sites. I encountered further miracles and amazements throughout the many places I traveled with Tavayogi. On arrival again at Supramania Swami's kudil, I was confronted with the question, "Did you hear the voice Raja?" After telling me it was the Yogi who joined us in the chant, he popped another question, "How is your guru?", referring to Tavayogi. I could not take it anymore. My eyes welled up in tears seeings such humility and grace in a guru. At that moment I saw god in him.

Our relationship strengthened through the many mails we wrote to each other and phone calls we made till Supramania Swami passed away on 7 February 2006. He had mentioned to me that he would live till 76. He was 76 when he passed away. His son Ramajayam saw an entry in his diary that mentioned the date he would pass away. It was the same day. 

Just as he had brought his guru Yogi Ramsuratkumar from samadhi to sit along with us and chant his name, Supramania Swami was at my home at AVM after his samadhi, in the suksma form, giving us an indication of his presence through the smell of tobacco and a miscall from his then defunct mobile number! 

Agathiyar spoke about his demise in the Nadi saying that he had attained samadhi and in another Nadi reading later, confirmed his presence in my home and the mysterious miscall.

Swami at his village home



Swami sat in this pose and asked me to snap a photo of him for my remembrance


Swami with his wife, son and granddaughter

Just before he went into samadhi he had gone on a mauna viratham, refraining from speaking to others. He had asked me to send money to feed 1000 people upon completion of his tapas. But he never completed the 60 day viratham he had initiated, having passed away just days after he started on it. Before passing away, he answered my call on the phone, although he was observing a period of silence and conveyed to me that he had seen the light or jhothi! I was happy for him.

Jnana Jhothiamma paying homage at Supramania Swami's samadhi




Surendaran with Swami's son, Ramajayam

Many years later in 2013 I called on Jnana Jhotiamma to carry out the annadhanam for 1000 people with the help of Deva and Swami's family in tribute to my guru. I would ask everyone going to Tiruvannamalai to stop at his samadhi on the Girivalam path.


According to S.Parthasarathy who knew the Yogi for twenty-five years, and was the author of ‘Amarakavyam - The Biography of Yogi Ramsuratkumar - The Godchild Tiruvannamalai’, the Yogi performed his duties in a selfless way. As a teacher he was dedicated and as a family man he was lovable and loved his wife and children. The yogi loved all and hated none. He tried to bring the teachings of the Gita and Ramayana into his daily life. He kept a vigil of silence and underwent fast for days on end. As a yogi he remained in total solitude at Tiruvannamalai. He was in love with god and his manifestations. He upheld a selfless attitude, always giving and expecting nothing in return. He asked his devotees to perform good deeds, remember ‘Father’ at all times, and to dedicate all doings to the holy feet of the Supreme Father. The yogi would never hasten things preferring to let nature take its course. The yogi left behind his name for generations to come to chant and derive bliss and obtain the grace of god.

From ‘Waves of Love’, published by Yogi Ramsuratkumar Bhavan, Mauritius, 2009 the author writes,
According to Bhagavan, grace is not something separate, or unreachable. It is ever pouring on us. We must make ourselves fit to receive it.
Will Zulkowsky, one of the first westerners to meet the Yogi, writes in his book ‘Meetings with Yogi Ramsuratkumar’, published by Yogi Ramsuratkumar Bhavan,
No matter who came with whatever problem, Swami wanted always to know the names of those involved. He would usually write the name of the person in the air with his finger in Hindi, his native tongue. He then would proceed to describe that person in complete detail getting their essence. He quickly got to the root of the problem and usually had a solution as to how the problem could be resolved.
Olga Amman quotes one Ganesan in her book, ‘Yogi Ramsuratkumar’,
Yes, he (the Yogi) has three very personal ways for healing the problems of people. Yogi Ramsuratkumar works through his touch, by which he cures most physical problems; second, by giving the person something to drink. In this case, karmic affectations are worked upon (karma, the effect of accumulated actions in lives, past and present). Finally, Yogi helps through smoking.
Another friend explained to us some time later: “Cigarettes in Yogi Ramsuratkumar’s hands function as Vedic homa, the sacrificial fire. Through that fire Swami reduces a great part of his devotees’ problems to ashes."
Will Zulkowsky writes further on the Yogi,
Even drinking tea with Swami was a unique experience. The tea was brought in a pot with the cups empty. Swami would then place each cup carefully in front of each person, then proceed to pour the tea. Once the tea was poured, after Swami sipped His tea, then could the rest begin. This was the protocol. Once I unconsciously moved my tea cup closer after Swami had placed it. Swami then stopped, gave me a look and told me firmly I had just spoiled His work. He said then that he had to make some adjustment to compensate for my blunder.
Finally, we understand that He has His mission to do what He calls "the Father's Work" and seems to be totally immersed in this work.
Ma Devaki writes in the introduction to her book ‘Yogi Ramsuratkumar, The Divine Beggar’ published by Yogi Ramsuratkumar Ashram, 2008,
Those of us who attempted to find some details of Sri Yogiji's past life were at once admonished by him with a cryptic remark, "There is no need to know the origin of Ganga or the places through which it passes. Take a dip in its holy waters and purify yourself. That will do." When a French writer asked the Yogi what was his message for the world the Yogi replied, as quoted by Ma Devaki, "What message? This beggar has no material to give you. For messages, you must go to people like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Ramana Maharishi, my Master Swami Ramdas, Ram Thirth etc. Enough has been said already. This beggar has no new message to give you. But Father has given a name to the world that can liberate people! - the name Yogi Ramsuratkumar! That's all! What can anybody write on this dirty beggar? Then what can anyone write on this mad sinner who is so lazy, who only eats, sleeps and smokes cigarettes which he buys with the money you people throw into his bowl?"
But Ma Devaki has this to say about the Yogi,
It often seemed to the author that one glimpse of this beggar sage would wipe out Janmas from our Karmic sheet! This divinity in dirty rags walked the earth for most part of his life even as a street beggar, depending on chance meal with only an occasional roof overhead. However, there was nothing street-beggarly about his Divine Majesty, nor about his spiritual Ministry as the hidden savior of mankind. Indeed, one glimpse of such an inspiring God man and his life story can indelibly impress upon us, the lofty truths of life in greater measure than scores of books on philosophy and Vedanta!
And indeed he had a message for us as is carried in Ma Devaki’s book,
“I am infinite and so are you and so is everyone, my friend. But there is a veil. You can see only an infinitesimal part of me. But have faith - no one is isolated. No one is separate. This sun, moon, stars, the tree, the stone, you and I all are related. When a blade of grass is trampled upon, a distant star trembles. It is all one life, my friend, one life! ”
In ‘Yogi Ramsuratkumar’, Olga Amman mentions the greatness of Rishi Shuka and likens him to the Yogi. 
About a great Rishi Shuka Maharaj, the Upanishads say: The universe is his. Nay, he himself is the universe. In the Mahabharata there is an even more clarifying story about this saint, when he was only a sixteen-year old boy: Vyasa, his father, called him, “Shuka, my son, where are you?” The trees everywhere in the forest started vibrating, “I am here, I am here, I am here”. 
Agathiyar in the Nadi says that he is in the prapanjam and the prapanjam is in him.

Olga writes about Ma Devaki meeting the Yogi for the first time.
 .. Ma Devaki herself who shared with us the memories of her very first encounter with Bhagavan:
“For quite some time, in the Eighties, I had been in search of an enlightened Guru like Ramakrishna Paramahansa and Ramana Maharshi. I also went up to the Himalayas every year, hoping for some miracle - man who could perform the miracle of my own transformation. But nothing happened to me despite the fact that some great souls granted me their darshans. When I went and knocked at the door of Sri Bhagavan in Sannidhi Street, on December 27th, 1986, little did I know about the momentous turn of events waiting for me! The very first appearance of him at the doorstep of Sannidhi Street shook the depths of my being, and tears began to stream down helplessly. He took my two friends and me right inside the house and made us sit in a row. He sat in front of me, and addressing himself to me in particular, he asked: “Can this beggar do anything for you?” He did it so gently, so tenderly that something stirred deep within me and I managed through all those tears to say, “I want to see God… That’s all!” 
As if he had just heard the funniest joke ever, he began to laugh – pearls of laughter cascaded and filled the air with such richness that instantly everybody broke into smiles too, except me. I felt like a worm and thought I had committed a blunder. I began to sob. Then, all of a sudden, he stopped his laughter and said: “Devaki is a pure soul. She will see God. Devaki is a pure soul”. He repeated this sentence again and again. Then, Swami’s face turned a radiant red, eyes glowing like jewels. He raised his hand up in benediction, accompanying his gesture with a loud ‘HUM’ sound. The whole atmosphere became intense. All thoughts vanished and tears stopped. I felt a strong current passing through me, shaking my whole body. My entire being got centered on him – him, the sole Divine Presence. A beautiful peace and bliss descended on me. 
When I came out, it wasn’t me anymore.
And the Yogi has this to say of Ma Devaki: “This beggar needs someone to take care of him. Devaki and the Sudama sisters are taking so much care of this beggar that this beggar cannot live without them.”

Olga also writes about a visitor and the Yogi’s attitude towards him.
After a few moments, one of the devotees explained to Bhagavan that he had come from Calcutta, and that his journey had been very long. 
These three ladies (Olga and her companions – Ed) come from Italy”, was the saint’s comment. 
Yogi asked the same devotee: “Don’t you have a Guru in Calcutta?”
“Yes, I have”, the man answered, and told his Guru’s name. 
“Then, why don’t you follow him? Why do you need to visit this beggar?”
The conversation ended there.
Olga shares Ma Devaki question to the Yogi regarding materializations. 
Swami explained: he had not been given that work by Father. Some mahatmas –he specified – may initially perform this kind of wonder for instilling faith. But he advised those present not to aim at ten paisa in a rupee. If he wished, they also could materialize. That, however, was not the point. He directed his devotees to concentrate on the full rupee, not on a small part of it.
Olga says, “He bore insults and even beatings with total acceptance, as if they were gifts from Father.” Ramana too was beaten up by looters who entered his ashram but Ramana remained calm and took on the blows. 

Olga adds, “Therefore, at a higher level – the one of Yogi Ramsuratkumar – what is generally called evil, violence, abuse, has its cosmic function”.

If only we could uphold the Yogi’s understanding of the world and its happenings, we would be enlightened in a second: “Everything is perfect because everything happens by the will of my Father. So, nothing is wrong in this world. Everything is perfect”.


When the Yogi was about to leave his mortal form,
When a grief-stricken attendant asked him tearfully why he could not cure himself as he had done in many cases of cancer devotees, he replied with a quote from Swami Nityananda of Ganeshpuri,
“That force is not for this body. That is only for the devotees. This body is mud and dust."
Again, when a devotee complained bitterly, why such a cruel disease should affect someone who had worked selflessly all his life, Bhagawan explained so graciously,
"Father makes this beggar suffer for some cosmic balance." But he added "This beggar can do much better work without this body" allaying fears of the devotees. He also used to say, "If people understand Swami Nityananda of Ganeshpuri, they can understand a little about this beggar also."
Ma Devaki writes,
The same Bhagawan also never missed a chance to hammer upon his body-conscious devotees, "Where is Yogi Ramsuratkumar”? (Pointing to his head and feet). Is he only from here to here? Those who think so will become narrow, selfish and miserable. He is here, there, everywhere. There is no place where this beggar is not."
Shridi Sai Baba said, "My tomb will speak. My clay will give you replies. My shrine will bless my devotees and fulfill their needs."

It is said "that even long after a Jivanmukta leaves his body, the Samadhi where the body lies interred, continues to confer fulfillment of the material desires as also immense spiritual benefits to the devotees who circumnavigate the Samadhi and pray to that saint. Those disembodied saints also become the Gurus of some earnest seekers and continue to guide them. It is presumably because the vital life-force (Prana) and the forces responsible for speech etc., of a Jivanmukta do not go anywhere else after death but continue to be earthed and absorbed in that very place." (Brihadaranyaka Upanishad)

The Yogi expresses his devotion to god in his own words: “Remembering my Father is life. Forgetting my Father is death”. 

Ma Devaki pays homage to her guru in the following words,
The un-manifest reality that embodied itself in order to ward off the dark forces that constantly harassed the world and redeem souls from their abysmal ignorance of life and its purpose, freed itself, for its own reasons, from the fetters of the body that housed it so graciously, so resiliently thus far. 
But now, it shines forth within all beings as their very conscience, as their very consciousness, in an incessant vigil over them. The God man, who defied all attempts at definitions, stands there apparently in the narrow confines of the embodied Vigraha with his hand raised in perennial benediction, out of his boundless compassion for his form-loving devotees.
Bhagawan in truth is both Saguna (the form) and Nirguna (the formless) and ever so many besides!